Level 2 Sports Trainer
The aim of the Level 2 Sports Trainer program is to further develop the basic knowledge and skills of a Level 1 Sports Trainer that in turn, will improve their ability to contribute to safer sporting events and organisations. It is anticipated that the experience gained since completion of the Level 1 course, will provide participants with sufficient insight to assimilate this higher level of knowledge into their role as a Sports Trainer.
The Level 2 Sports Trainer course covers the following units:
- PUAEME004A Provide Emergency Care for Suspected Spinal Injuries
- Role of the Level 2 Sports Trainer
- Injury Prevention Programs
- Concussion Management
- Introduction to Sports Massage
- Wound Management
- Athlete Wellbeing and Mental Health
- Advanced Taping
- Current accreditation as an SMA or NRL Level 1 Sports Trainer
- HLTAID003 Provide First Aid Certificate(completed within 3 years)
- HLTAID001 Provide CPR Certificate(completed within 12 months)
- Successful completion of the Level 2 Sports Trainer online learning, including online learning for PUAEME004A Provide Emergency Care for Suspected Spinal Injuries. Please refer to Delivery Mode/Duration for more information on the online learning.
- Letter of industry experience from their employer or club/association detailing at least 50+ hours of work (paid or unpaid) as a Sports Trainer in the last 12 months. Please contact the local SMA Office (in the region the course is to be held) prior to enrolling in the course is you are unable to provide this.
Please note: evidence of the above prerequisites must be provided to SMA prior to attendance at a course. Students who do not provide sufficient evidence of the required prerequisites will have their enrolment deemed incomplete. Students who do not complete the enrolment process within 15 business days of the course start date, will be unenrolled.
Upon successful completion of all course requirements, students will receive a Statement of Attainment for PUAEME004A Provide Emergency Care for Suspected Spinal Injuries within 30 days via PDF and/or hard copy, as per the Australian Skills Quality Authority regulations of successful course completion. Students will also receive a Sports Medicine Australia Level 2 Sports Trainer qualification (valid for 3 years).
To enrol, students must be a minimum of 16 years of age. Children under 16 may be accepted on a case-by-case basis upon application to their local SMA state branch (in the state where the course is to be held). This ensures the student has the necessary skills to undertake training and assessment requirements.
This course is delivered through a combination of pre-course online learning and 16 hours face to face training. Please note this course may be delivered over consecutive days, or a longer period. Please contact the local SMA Office (in the region the course is to be held) to clarify the course schedule. All online learning must be successfully completed prior to attendance at the face to face training.
Failure to complete the online learning prior to attending the face to face training places a student at a significant disadvantage. By not completing all online learning prior to attending the face to face course student’s may struggle to complete both the final theory assessment and practical assessments to the level required for an outcome of competent.
Any student who does not successfully complete the online learning prior to the face to face course does so at their own risk. If a student has not completed the online learning and fails to achieve an outcome of satisfactory for two or more practical assessments, the student will be deemed not yet competent and will be required to attend an additional face to face training session. This will incur additional course fees.
Students will receive their access to online learning 14 days prior to the course start date. Students who enrol less than 14 days prior to the course start date will receive access no later than close of business the following business day.
Any student having difficulty completing the online learning is encouraged to contact SMA for additional support and resources
Students will be assessed as follows:
- Lecturer observation and practical scenario assessment
- Taping of shoulder, knee, elbow, Achilles and plantar fascia
- Theory Assessment
Students are provided with the following course resources:
- Online learning modules
- Sports tape and associated materials
Please note: students are required to provide a towel for use during the Introduction to Sports Massage unit. Students are also advised that this unit requires students to work in pairs to practice the techniques being taught.
Please read and be familiar with all our training policies.
Level 2 Sports Trainer Courses
|Course Name||State||Location||Start Date & Time||Price|
|Level 2 Sports Trainer||New South Wales||Bodyworx Physio||17-Aug-2019 @ 8:30 AM||$350.00|
|Level 2 Sports Trainer||Northern Territory||Land Rover Rugby Park||23-Nov-2019 @ 8:30 AM||$350.00|