As an organisation we are extremely aware of the significant role we have to play in the return to sport at all levels, and as such we are taking all necessary precautions to ensure that the recommencement of training is carried out in a safe and socially responsible manner.
To prepare for course recommencement SMA has formed a Community Sport Medical Advisory Working Group. The working group has been instrumental in the development of a new COVIDSAFE guideline for sports trainers in collaboration with the AIS and Sport Australia. The new resource forms part of the Sport Australia Return to Sport Toolkit and will underpin updates to SMA’s Safer Sport education programs.
>> Read more about the new guidelines Sports Trainer Practices in a COVID19 Environment.
A webinar for Accredited Sports Trainers and community sport stakeholders to provide an overview of the new guidelines Sports Trainer Practices in a COVID19 Environment is planned for Tuesday 28th July. Registrations for the webinar will be released in mid July.
In addition to the development of the new guidelines, the focus of the Working Group has also been on:
- Designing adaptions to course training and assessment methods, policies and guidelines
- Defining and documenting infection control and hygiene measures to ensure the safety of all presenters, staff and students entering a course.
- Prescription of the Infection Control module delivered online through the Australian Government – Department of Health by all those involved in course delivery
- Updated equipment and facility cleaning and sanitising protocols
- Defining student number limits, social distancing and personal protection measures
The SMA Education Team and Community Sport Medical Advisory Working Group are constantly monitoring the information provided by the Government and relevant health and regulatory bodies. The safety of our students and presenters as well as the athletes and communities that our students will work with once qualified is our primary priority.
SMA will announce our target return to face to face course delivery as soon as possible.