Safer Sport Courses
Sports Medicine Australia (SMA) has suspended all face to face Safer Sport course delivery in an attempt to minimize and manage the potential risks presented by COVID 19. SMA will continue to offer online course content including theory components for some first aid, emergency care and Sports Trainer courses during this period of community social distancing.
In 1983, Sports Medicine Australia developed the Safer Sport Program (SSP). The SSP was developed to:
- Create a safe playing field in which all Australians can actively and freely participate
- Encourage sport and physical activity
- Educate community members about healthy lifestyle choices and the associated benefits that physical activity and sport play in reducing lifestyle diseases.
The SSP achieves this by providing courses for all people involved or interested in becoming Sports Trainers, with a distinct emphasis on gaining practical skills such as sports injury prevention, immediate injury management and crisis management techniques, as well as also playing a key role in promoting healthy and safe sport and physical activity.
Sports Trainers graduating from the SSP gain skills that enable them to act as a community sports club volunteers or at a higher level. The Sports Trainer provides a crucial link between the coach, player and health professional. The training programs draw on the expertise of Sports Medicine Australia’s professional members and topics include:
- Implementing appropriate injury prevention protocols
- Preparing players for competition
- Concussion recognition and management
- Nutrition and hydration
- Drugs in sport
- Immediate management of injuries and crisis management of severe injuries
- Return to play principles.
Courses and Training
Sports Medicine Australia offers the following industry recognised training courses for Sports Trainers and community sports club volunteers:
- Level 1 Sports Trainer
- Level 1 Sports Trainer – Allied Health
- Level 2 Sports Trainer
- Level 1 Sports Trainer Re-Accreditation
- Level 2 Sports Trainer Re-Accreditation
- Introduction to Sports Taping
- Introduction to Kinesiology Taping
- Advanced Sports Taping
- Introduction to Sports Massage
- Concussion Management