Safer Sport Courses
Sports Medicine Australia (SMA) is committed to the safe delivery of our Safer Sport Education Program in a COVID19 environment.
We take all precautions to ensure that our training courses can be carried out in a safe and socially responsible manner, prioritising the wellbeing of students and presenters as well as the athletes and communities that our students will work with once qualified.
The SMA Management Team and Medical Advisory Working Group are constantly monitoring the information provided by Government health authorities and regulatory bodies.
In 1983, Sports Medicine Australia developed the Safer Sport Program (SSP). The SSP was developed to:
- Create a safe playing field in which all Australians can actively and freely participate
- Encourage sport and physical activity
- Educate community members about healthy lifestyle choices and the associated benefits that physical activity and sport play in reducing lifestyle diseases.
The SSP achieves this by providing courses for all people involved or interested in becoming Sports Trainers, with a distinct emphasis on gaining practical skills such as sports injury prevention, immediate injury management and crisis management techniques, as well as also playing a key role in promoting healthy and safe sport and physical activity.
Sports Trainers graduating from the SSP gain skills that enable them to act as a community sports club volunteers or at a higher level. The Sports Trainer provides a crucial link between the coach, player and health professional. The training programs draw on the expertise of Sports Medicine Australia’s professional members and topics include:
- Implementing appropriate injury prevention protocols
- Preparing players for competition
- Concussion recognition and management
- Nutrition and hydration
- Drugs in sport
- Immediate management of injuries and crisis management of severe injuries
- Return to play principles.
Courses and Training
Sports Medicine Australia offers the following industry recognised training courses for Sports Trainers and community sports club volunteers:
- Level 1 Sports Trainer
- Level 1 Sports Trainer – Allied Health
- Level 2 Sports Trainer
- Level 1 Sports Trainer Re-Accreditation
- Level 2 Sports Trainer Re-Accreditation
- Introduction to Sports Taping
- Introduction to Kinesiology Taping
- Advanced Sports Taping
- Introduction to Sports Massage
- Concussion Management
SMA Sports Trainer Membership is highly encouraged for all working Sports Trainers, from community level sport right through to those involved in elite level competition. A major benefit of Sports Trainer Membership is the specially tailored insurance package which has been carefully designed for working Sports Trainers and is available for accredited SMA sports trainers (either Level 1 Sports Trainer and/or Level 2 Sports Trainer).
Take advantage of a 30% discount ($105.00) when purchasing a course plus membership bundle at the point of registration to any of SMA’s Sports Trainer or Sports Trainer Reaccreditation Courses on offer! Find out more here.