Sports Medicine Australia (SMA) is committed to the safe delivery of our Safer Sport Education Program in a COVID19 environment.
As an organisation we are extremely aware of the significant role we have to play in support and leadership of sport at all levels, and as such we have taken all necessary precautions to ensure that the recommencement of our training courses can be carried out in a safe and socially responsible manner.
The SMA Management Team and Medical Advisory Working Group are constantly monitoring the information provided by Government health authorities and regulatory bodies. This advice is the basis for SMA’s COVID SAFE course delivery model which prioritises the safety of students and presenters as well as the athletes and communities that our students will work with once qualified.
The key characteristics of our revised course delivery formats include:
- Detailed COVID19 Safety Plans for all courses
- Online Learning about COVID19 Infection Control for course presenters and students
- Pre-course COVID19 Screening for course presenters and students
- Strict protocols for notification of illness
- Physical distancing (1.5m spacing; 1 person per 4sqm within training spaces) wherever possible.
- Strict risk management controls during practical activities that require participants to be in close contact for longer than 15 minutes face to face (PPE, hygiene, cleaning)
- Limiting time in a shared closed indoor space to no more than 2 hours
- Delivering a greater proportion of course content via live online class platforms
- Increased hand hygiene, cleaning and disinfecting protocols
- Revised risk assessment, hygiene and cleaning record keeping protocols
SMA acknowledges that the effectiveness of infection control protocols carried out within SMA courses and by SMA qualified Sports Trainers are contingent upon on SMA Presenters being educated and informed and ensuring good communication with SMA with respect to carrying out the safety measures outlined within SMA COVID19 Safety Plans.
Please contact our Safer Sport team via 1300 711 211 or [email protected] with any queries or concerns.