HLTAID003 – Provide First Aid
This course is delivered using blended learning and includes theoretical and practical tasks. Students are required to participate in all course elements, providing them with an opportunity to practice and refine their skills prior to assessment. The course structure involves simulated real-life scenarios which could appear in the community and/or workplace settings. This allows students to demonstrate application of their skills and knowledge.
- DRSABCD and Provide Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation.
- Practical scenarios for Provide Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation.
- Medical emergencies
- Wound care
- Bites, stings, slings and bandaging
- Fractures and dislocations
- Eye, dental, concussion and neck injuries
- Abdominal and crush injuries
- Injury reporting.
- Written assessment.
Upon completion of this training, students will receive a Statement of Attainment for HLTAID003 Provide First Aid, incorporating HLTAID001 Provide Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation within 30 days via PDF. Certificates are typically provided to the student within 10 business days of successful completion.
To enrol, students must be a minimum of 14 years of age. Children under 14 may be accepted on a case-by-case basis upon application to their local SMA state branch (in the state where the course is to be held). This ensures the student has the necessary skills to undertake training and assessment requirements.
New or continuing students undertaking nationally recognised training need a Unique Student Identifier (USI) to receive a qualification/statement of attainment for this unit.
Your USI will provide you with access to an online record of your training since 1 January 2015 and allow comprehensive training transcripts to be produced. To find out more about USIs, click here. Enrolling students should enter their existing USI to proceed with enrolment.
If you do not have a USI, or want to verify your USI number, please visit the Australian Government’s USI website here (takes 3 minutes to create a USI) .
Students who do not provide a valid USI will be deemed an incomplete enrolment. Students who do not complete the enrolment process and provide a valid USI within 15 business days of the course date, will be unenrolled.
- 8 hours face-to-face practical workshop.
- Pre-course reading
Recognition of Prior Learning
SMA provides a recognition of prior learning pathway for this course. Recognition of prior learning is available to those students who can provide other evidence that they can demonstrate the skills, knowledge and experience described by the unit. For example, a current AHPRA registration as medical practitioner, nurse or physiotherapist. If you believe you are eligible for recognition of prior learning, please contact SMA.
Students will be assessed individually and in group activities. Students need to display competency in all assessable elements to successfully complete the unit package HLTAID003 accreditation. Assessment is conducted using the following methods:
- Scenario assessment– Students are required to demonstrate the essential skills and knowledge to respond to a range of first aid or emergency situations, including scenarios aligned with the performance criteria required for this program.
- Demonstration of Provide Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation procedures– Students will demonstrate Provide Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation on SMA training manikins – adult, child and infant – in line with the Australian Resuscitation Council (ARC) Guidelines.
- Demonstration of various first aid techniques– Students, individually and as a group, are required to demonstrate competency in a range of first aid techniques.
- Written questions– Students will undertake a written assessment task at the end of the day, either as a group exercise, or individually, with a 100% pass rate required.
The following learning resources are provided to students during class and face-to-face sessions:
- First Aid Manual incorporating the latest first aid information. It provides students with an easy-to-read reference for HLTAID003 Provide First Aid.
- PowerPoint presentation that is interactive and customised to include real-life first aid and Provide Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation examples and scenarios.
- Adult and infant resuscitation manikins in line with ARC Guidelines for assessment of Provide Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation procedures.
- Adrenaline auto-injector training device.
- AED training device.
- Placebo bronchodilator and spacer device.
- Roller bandages.
- Triangular bandages.
- Workplace First Aid kit.
- Workplace injury, trauma and/or illness record, or other appropriate workplace incident report form for written reports.
- Wound dressings.
Special Needs and LLN Reasonable Adjustment
Sports Medicine Australia recognises that students participating in its training courses may have special needs. These may include but are not limited to students with language, literacy and/or numeracy problems, or disabilities. Students with special needs should contact us prior to enrolment to discuss their needs.
SMA endeavours to provide a learning environment which is supportive of group and individual learning. To achieve this, support is required from all students, presenters and course convenors. It is therefore expected that students will behave in a manner which is respectful of fellow students and Sports Medicine Australia staff.
Please read and be familiar with all our training policies.
|Course Name||State||Location||Start Date & Time||Price|
|HLTAID003 - Provide First Aid||New South Wales||Sports House Sydney Olympic Park||18-Aug-2018 @ 8:30 AM||$120.00|
|HLTAID003 - Provide First Aid||Australian Capital Territory||National Hockey Centre - Conference Room||19-Aug-2018 @ 8:30 AM||$150.00|
|HLTAID003 - Provide First Aid||Western Australia||DSR - WA||19-Aug-2018 @ 8:30 AM||$150.00|
|HLTAID003 - Provide First Aid||Northern Territory||Land Rover Rugby Park||19-Aug-2018 @ 8:00 AM||$150.00|
|HLTAID003 - Provide First Aid||Queensland||Gold Coast - Runaway Bay Super Sports Centre||01-Sep-2018 @ 8:30 AM||$150.00|
|HLTAID003 - Provide First Aid||Queensland||01-Sep-2018 @ 8:30 AM||$150.00|
|HLTAID003 - Provide First Aid||Victoria||Sports House Victoria||16-Sep-2018 @ 9:00 AM||$150.00|
|HLTAID003 - Provide First Aid||Australian Capital Territory||National Hockey Centre - Conference Room||16-Sep-2018 @ 8:30 AM||$150.00|
|HLTAID003 - Provide First Aid||New South Wales||Armidale Ex Services Memorial Club||05-Oct-2018 @ 8:30 AM||$150.00|
|HLTAID003 - Provide First Aid||Victoria||Sports House Victoria||14-Oct-2018 @ 9:00 AM||$150.00|
|HLTAID003 - Provide First Aid||Australian Capital Territory||National Hockey Centre - Conference Room||14-Oct-2018 @ 8:30 AM||$150.00|
|HLTAID003 - Provide First Aid||Northern Territory||Land Rover Rugby Park||28-Oct-2018 @ 8:00 AM||$150.00|
|HLTAID003 - Provide First Aid||New South Wales||Sports House Sydney Olympic Park||10-Nov-2018 @ 8:30 AM||$150.00|
|HLTAID003 - Provide First Aid||Australian Capital Territory||National Hockey Centre - Conference Room||11-Nov-2018 @ 8:30 AM||$150.00|
|HLTAID003 - Provide First Aid||Western Australia||SMA WA Office||11-Nov-2018 @ 8:30 AM||$150.00|
|HLTAID003 - Provide First Aid||Victoria||Sports House Victoria||18-Nov-2018 @ 9:00 AM||$150.00|
|HLTAID003 - Provide First Aid||Victoria||Sports House Victoria||09-Dec-2018 @ 9:00 AM||$150.00|
|HLTAID003 - Provide First Aid||Australian Capital Territory||National Hockey Centre - Conference Room||16-Dec-2018 @ 8:30 AM||$150.00|
|HLTAID003 - Provide First Aid||New South Wales||Sports House Sydney Olympic Park||19-Jan-2019 @ 8:30 AM||$150.00|