Return to Sport: COVID19 Recovery
As nation-wide public health restrictions caused by COVID19 begin to ease, states and territories will decide when each step will be implemented locally in response to public health advice and local transmission rates. Easing of restrictions is positive however it is recognised that forward progress may fluctuate over time and restrictions may need re-applied if transmission rates rise.
Sports Medicine Australia is committed to disseminating expert medical advice, to ensure that education, policy and practice standards can be adapted to support athletes, personnel and volunteers in navigating the rapid pace of change.
It will be vital for professionals and volunteers who are re-engaged in sport over the coming weeks and months to ensure that they are clear about expectations relating to community gatherings, social distancing, hygiene, infection control and how to safely undertake physical contact with athletes where necessary to perform essential sports medical duties.
We’ll keep this page updated with important links as a reference for sports medical networks.
- Government resources
- 3 Step Framework for a COVIDSAFE AUSTRALIA
- australia.gov.au– state and territory resources
- Australian Government Coronavirus (COVID-19) health alert
- Sport specific resources
- Safety and infection control resources and education principles
- Health professional information and resources
- Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency
- Australasian College of Sport and Exercise Physicians
- APA – Sport and Exercise Physiotherapy
- APS – College of Sport and Exercise Psychologists
- Exercise and Sports Science Australia
- Sports Chiropractic Australia
- Sports Dietitians Australia
- Sports Doctors Australia
- Australasian Academy of Podiatric Sports Medicine
SMA encourages athletes, sporting personnel and volunteers to sign up to the COVIDSafe app which aims to speed up the process of identifying and contacting people who have been exposed to coronavirus, helping to stop further community transmission.