Level 1 Sports Trainer – Allied Health
Sports Medicine Australia’s (SMA) Level 1 Sports Trainer course is designed to introduce participants to the basic knowledge and skills required by a Sports Trainer. These skills include the management of specific sporting injuries, sports taping and transporting an injured athlete. This course educates prospective Sports Trainers on the basic principles of sports medicine. This course has been developed for Allied Health students and professionals.
The successful completion of the Level 1 Sports Trainer course provides an opportunity for participants to become an SMA Accredited Sports Trainer. This is the standard requirement to perform the duties of a Sports Trainer in most major Australian sporting codes.
The course covers the following units:
- Sports Trainer in Action
- Preventing Sports Injuries
- Nutrition and Hydration in Sport
- Drugs in Sport
- Management of the Injured Athlete
- Sports Taping (ankle, thumb and finger)
- Transporting the Injured Athlete
- Common Sporting Illness and Injuries
- HLTAID003 Provide First Aid (completed within 3 years)
- HLTAID001 Provide CPR (completed within 12 months)
- Academic Transcript (unofficial is acceptable) showing at least 12 months full time study (minimum pass mark in all units) or equivalent, or a completed degree in one of the following Allied Health Fields;
- Nursing (RN or EN)
- Bachelor of Science (Physiotherapy)
- Bachelor of Science (Chiropractic)
- Bachelor of Exercise and Sports Science
- Bachelor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Human Movement
- Bachelor of Biomedical Science
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy
Please note: evidence of the above prerequisites must be provided to SMA prior to attendance at a course. Students who do not provide sufficient evidence of the required prerequisites will have their enrolment deemed incomplete. Students who do not complete the enrolment process within 15 business days of the course start date, will be unenrolled.
Upon successful completion of all course requirements, students will receive a Sports Medicine Australia Level 1 Sports Trainer qualification (valid for 3 years).
To enrol, students must be a minimum of 16 years of age. Children under 16 may be accepted on a case-by-case basis upon application to their local SMA Office (in the region the course is to be held). This ensures the student has the necessary skills to undertake training and assessment requirements.
This course is delivered over 8 hours face to face training. This course is a shortened version of the SMA Level 1 Sports Trainer course, due to the prior knowledge and experience of eligible students.
Students will be assessed as follows:
- Lecturer observation and practical scenario assessment
- Taping of the ankle, thumb and finger
- Written assessment
Students are provided with the following course resources:
- Sports tape and associated materials
- Sports Medicine for Sports Trainers textbook
- Various stretchers
- First aid kit for scenarios
Please read and be familiar with all our training policies.
Level 1 Sports Trainer Allied Health Courses
|Course Name||State||Location||Start Date & Time||Price|
|Level 1 Sports Trainer (Allied Health)||Queensland||Sports House Milton||15-Jun-2019 @ 8:30 AM||$190.00|
|Level 1 Sports Trainer (Allied Health)||New South Wales||Sports House Sydney Olympic Park||17-Jul-2019 @ 8:30 AM||$190.00|
|Level 1 Sports Trainer (Allied Health)||Western Australia||DSR - WA||28-Jul-2019 @ 9:00 AM||$190.00|
|Level 1 Sports Trainer (Allied Health)||Western Australia||DSR - WA||26-Oct-2019 @ 9:00 AM||$190.00|