Sports Medicine Australia (SMA) strongly encourages students studying a relevant field in the sports medicine and sports science discipline to apply for membership.
Becoming a Student Member of SMA can unlock significant opportunities for future career progression and advancement. Particularly for students studying an Allied Health course, SMA membership and participation in SMA courses can help provide hands-on experience in a practical, sporting environment. In an increasingly competitive industry, practical experience in the field, not to mention, quality networks with other sports medicine professionals, can provide a substantial head-start over other candidates.
SMA will consider applications for membership from a range disciplines. This includes (but is not limited to) sports medicine, sports science, exercise science, physiotherapy, podiatry, nutrition, osteopathy, chiropractic, physiology, biomechanics and dentistry. If you are studying a course which is not listed, please feel free to contact the membership team on (03) 9764 8702 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
Student Membership is available to both Australian and International Students.
Student Members of SMA can take advantage of a range of benefits including:
- 10% discount off all SMA training and courses (including Nationally Recognised Training and Safer Sport courses- including our Level 1 Sports Trainer course)
- Digital access to member magazine Sport Health
- Digital subscription to British Journal of Sports Medicine (BJSM) for the latest research in the field (valued at approx. $310 AUD)
- Access discounted SMA Member pricing on the annual SMA Conference and other SMA professional development events held throughout the year.
- Eligible for Awards Consideration at the Sports Medicine Australia Conference. This year, there is over $23,000 worth of funds to be awarded.
- Eligible to apply for Sports Medicine Australia Research Foundation Grants
- Eligible to stand for State Council positions
- Ability to register for FREE ‘members-only’ professional development events and webinars
- Priority access to register for FREE Sports Medicine Australia events before they are advertised to the general public
- Access to the Membership Portal, a repository for exclusive ‘members-only’ content and resources
- Access to the latest industry news via our monthly member e-Newsletters.
- Exceptional networking and interdisciplinary referral opportunities through our publications, conferences and events.
To be eligible for Student Membership, applicants must:
- Be enrolled in full-time education. Educational institutions which are able to be considered include Universities, TAFEs, and Business Academies.
- Be studying a degrees relevant to sports medicine and exercise science. Degrees eligible for consideration include: Bachelor of Health Science, Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Physiotherapy, Bachelor of Exercise and Sport Science, Bachelor of Physical Education, Bachelor of Psychology, Bachelor of Podiatry. (Please note: this list is not exhaustive).
- Accept SMA’s Code of Ethics.
- Have no criminal convictions.
- Have no ruling or history of action determined to be injurious or prejudicial to the objects or interests of SMA, its members, or anything which may bring SMA into disrepute.
Please be aware that SMA’s Student Membership is capped at 4 years maximum. After this point, membership will be transitioned to SMA’s Recent Graduate Membership program.
For students working as Sports Trainers, please note: it may be more appropriate to become a Sports Trainer Member (Student). This membership will ensure you are covered by insurance while working as a Sports Trainer, not to mention, still provide you access to the same Student Member benefits detailed above.
The cost of Student Membership is $50 per year.
Become a Member
Becoming a member is easy via our secure online portal. When completing your online application, please include the relevant degree you are currently studying and your anticipated completion date.
Payment can be made through MasterCard or Visa credit card. Alternatively, you can choose to have an invoice emailed to you with other payment options.
For further enquiries, please contact our Membership Team on (03) 9764 8702 or email: email@example.comJoin Now