Recent Graduate Membership
Sports Medicine Australia’s (SMA) Recent Graduate Membership is specially designed for sports medicine and sports science professionals who have recently graduated from an educational institution within the last 12 months.
Membership with SMA can significantly assist with career progression and advancement in a competitive industry. Aside from accessing a range of outstanding member benefits, SMA’s Recent Graduate Membership can help create invaluable, multi-disciplinary networks with other allied health professionals working within the industry. SMA’s research grants, awards at the annual SMA Conference, and Fellowship are reserved for members only. Recognition through SMA awards and Fellowship are a prestigious honour and can assist career advancement and recognition in the discipline.
Professions eligible to be considered for Recent Graduate Membership span a range of professions including: Physiotherapists, GPs, Sports Doctors, Sports Physicians, Sports Scientists, Exercise Scientists, Accredited Exercise Physiologists, Biomechanists, Sports Dietitians, Sports Psychologists, Chiropractors, Osteopaths, Podiatrists, Physical Activity Academics and Researchers, Public Health Experts, Orthopaedic Surgeons and Teachers (please note: this list is not exhaustive).
Recent Graduate Members receive the following member benefits:
- Thanks to our major sponsor ASICS, all new Recent Graduate Members of SMA will receive an ASICS merchandise pack worth up to $100 RRP upon joining. This pack includes an ASICS shoe bag, ASICS drink bottle, ASICS reflective running band and a pair of ASICS socks.
- 10% discount off all SMA training and courses (including Nationally Recognised Training and Safer Sport courses)
- Printed copy of member magazine Sport Health from September 2018 onwards
- Digital subscriptions to Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport (JSAMS) and British Journal of Sports Medicine (BJSM) for the latest research in the field (valued at approx. $500 AUD)
- 35% Discount off ASICS shoes as part of the ASICS Professional Buyers’ Program (Four pairs of shoes per calendar year)
- Access discounted SMA Member pricing on the annual SMA Conference and other SMA professional development events held throughout the year
- Eligible for Awards Consideration at the Sports Medicine Australia Conference. This year, there is over $23,000 worth of funds to be awarded
- Ability to apply for the prestigious Australian Sports Medicine Federation Fellowship after 7 years’ membership
- Eligible to apply for Sports Medicine Australia Research Foundation Grants
- Eligible to stand for SMA’s State Council positions
- Pathway for inclusion on medical teams at major sporting events including Commonwealth Games, Olympics and Masters Games
- Ability to register for FREE members-only professional development events and webinars
- Priority access to register for FREE Sports Medicine Australia events before they are advertised to the general public
- Access to the Membership Portal, a repository for exclusive ‘members-only’ content and resources
- Ability to post jobs and career opportunities via the SMA Jobs Board
- Access to the latest industry news via our monthly member e-Newsletters
- Exceptional networking and interdisciplinary referral opportunities through our publications, conferences and events
To be eligible for Recent Graduate Membership you must:
- Hold a recognised and approved three-year (minimum) tertiary degree in the last 12 months. Degree must be in a field related to sports medicine/sports science and approved by SMA’s National Board
- Provide copies of your qualifications
- Accept SMA’s Code of Ethics
- Have no criminal convictions
- Have no ruling or history of action determined to be injurious or prejudicial to the objects or interests of SMA, its members or the sports medicine discipline generally, which could bring SMA into disrepute.
- Uphold the vision, mission and values of Sports Medicine Australia.
Please be aware Recent Graduate membership is capped at a maximum of two years. Following this period, Recent Graduate Members will be upgraded to Professional Membership.
The cost of Recent Graduate Membership is $150 per year.
Become a Member
Becoming a member is easy via our secure online portal. You can pay via MasterCard or Visa Credit Card. Alternatively, you can choose to have an invoice emailed to you with other payment options.
For further enquiries, please direct your enquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org or call our Membership team on 1300 711 211.Join Now