Professional Membership is the category for professionals in the sports medicine and sports science industry. The professions of most Professional Members include: Physiotherapists, GPs, Sports Doctors, Sports Physicians, Exercise Scientists, Sports Dietitians, Sports Psychologists, Podiatrists, Physical Activity Academics and Researchers, Public Health Experts, Orthopaedic Surgeons and Teachers.
To be eligible for Professional Membership, applicants must have completed an approved tertiary degree that is recognised and approved by the SMA National Board, and be prepared to comply with the SMA Code of Ethics and uphold the vision, mission and values of Sports Medicine Australia.
Professional Members receive the following benefits:
- Networking and interdisciplinary referral opportunities through our publications, conferences and events.
- Discounted registration on the annual SMA Conference and other SMA professional development events held throughout the year.
- Access to the latest industry news through Sport Health and monthly member e-Newsletter.
- Online subscriptions to the latest sports medicine and sports science research through the Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport (JSAMS) and British Journal of Sports Medicine (BJSM).
- Voting rights and eligibility to stand for SMA Board and State Council positions.
- Eligibility to apply for the prestigious SMA Fellowship after seven years’ membership.
- Eligibility for award consideration at the annual SMA Conference
- Eligibility to apply for SMA Research Grants.
- Ability to apply for the ASICS Professional Buyers Program to receive 35% off four pairs of shoes per calendar year.
- Ability to post jobs and career opportunities via the SMA Jobs Board.
Eligibility for Professional (Full) Membership is as follows:
- Completion of a recognised and approved, three-year (minimum) full-time tertiary degree.
- Acceptance of the SMA Code of Ethics.
- No criminal convictions.
- No ruling of action determined to be injurious or prejudicial to the objects or interests of SMA, its members or Sports Medicine, or which brings SMA into disrepute.
The cost of a Professional (Full) Membership is $250 per year plus a once off $40 Joining fee.
Becoming a member is easy via our secure online portal. You can pay via MasterCard or Visa Credit Card. Alternatively, you can choose to have an invoice emailed to you with other payment options.
For further enquiries please contact our Membership Team on (03) 9764 8702 or email email@example.comBecome a Member