Sports Medicine Australia’s (SMA) ‘Professional Membership’ is open to professionals across the sports medicine and sports science discipline.
Professional membership with SMA can significantly assist with career progression and advancement in a competitive industry. Aside from accessing a range of outstanding member benefits, SMA’s Professional Membership can help create invaluable, multi-disciplinary networks with other allied health professionals working within the industry. SMA’s research grants, awards at the annual SMA Conference, and Fellowship are reserved for members only. Recognition through SMA’s awards and Fellowship are a prestigious honour and can assist career advancement and recognition in the discipline.
Professional membership encompasses a range of professions including: Physiotherapists, GPs, Sports Doctors, Sports Physicians, Accredited Exercise Physiologists, Exercise Scientists, Sports Scientists, Physiologists, Biomechanists, Sports Dietitians, Sports Psychologists, Chiropractors, Osteopaths, Podiatrists, Physical Activity Academics and Researchers, Public Health Experts, Orthopaedic Surgeons and Teachers (please note: this list is not exhaustive).
Professional Members can take advantage of a range of benefits including:
- 10% discount off all SMA training and courses (including Nationally Recognised Training and Safer Sport courses)
- Printed copy of member magazine Sport Health from September 2018 onwards
- Digital subscriptions to Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport (JSAMS) and British Journal of Sports Medicine (BJSM) for the latest research in the field (valued at approx. $500 AUD)
- Access discounted SMA Member pricing on the annual SMA Conference and other SMA professional development events held throughout the year
- Eligible for Awards Consideration at the Sports Medicine Australia Conference. This year, there is over $23,000 worth of funds to be awarded
- Ability to apply for the prestigious Australian Sports Medicine Federation Fellowship after 7 years’ membership
- Eligible to apply for Sports Medicine Australia Research Foundation Grants
- 35% Discount off ASICS shoes as part of the ASICS Professional Buyers’ Program (Four pairs of shoes per calendar year)
- Eligible to stand for the National SMA Board and State Council positions
- Pathway for inclusion on medical teams at major sporting events including Commonwealth Games, Olympics and Masters Games
- Ability to register for FREE members-only professional development events and webinars
- Priority access to register for FREE Sports Medicine Australia events before they are advertised to the general public
- Access to the Membership Portal, a repository for exclusive ‘members-only’ content and resources
- Ability to post jobs and career opportunities via the SMA Jobs Board
- Access to the latest industry news via our monthly member e-Newsletters
- Exceptional networking and interdisciplinary referral opportunities through our publications, conferences and events
To be eligible for Professional Membership, you must:
- Hold a recognised and approved, three-year (minimum) tertiary degree. Degree must be in a field related to sports medicine/sports science and approved by SMA’s National Board
- Provide copies of your qualifications
- Accept SMA’s Code of Ethics
- Have no criminal convictions
- Have no ruling or history of action determined to be injurious or prejudicial to the objects or interests of SMA, its members, or anything which may bring SMA into disrepute
- Uphold the vision, mission and values of Sports Medicine Australia.
The cost of Professional Membership is $250 per year.
Become A Member
Becoming a member is easy via our secure online portal. You can pay via MasterCard or Visa Credit Card. Alternatively, you can choose to have an invoice emailed to you with other payment options.
For further enquiries, please contact our Membership Team on (03) 9764 8702 or email firstname.lastname@example.orgJoin Now