Sports Medicine Australia is Australia’s peak national umbrella body for sports medicine and sports science, and is widely acknowledged overseas as the world’s leading multi-disciplinary sports medicine body.
Sports Medicine Australia through its individual and organisational members is Australia’s peak advisory body on all medical and health issues for active people – from weekend enthusiasts of all ages through to elite level competition.
The safe participation of Australians in sport and healthy physical activity at all stages of life is the primary concern for all involved with Sports Medicine Australia.
Sports Medicine Australia can provide expert information, advice and commentary on a diverse range of issues. These range from government policy and funding for Sports Medicine and community activity through to sports health, gender equity, participation of the aged in sport, safe sport for children, to drugs in sport problems.
Sports Medicine Australia plays an active role in educating professionals and sports-minded community members and in assisting all active people to achieve optimal benefits from their exercise, activity and competition.
Sports Medicine Australia draws together all sports science and sports medicine professionals. These groups include:
|* orthopedic surgeons
* sports scientists
* exercise physiologists
* population health specialists
At a community level Sports Medicine Australia is responsible for creating a safe playing field in which all Australians can actively and freely participate. The delivery of the Safer Sport message throughout Australia is achieved through the development and design of courses and educational resources for coaches, trainers, teachers and participants.
Sports Medicine Australia works to ensure the safety of all active Australians, and the continued professional development of persons interested in sports science, sports medicine and healthy activity.
Sports Medicine Australia will build a vibrant community, including its members and other parties committed to sharing knowledge, training and information, to enhance the health of all Australians through facilitating their safe participation in sport and physical activity.
Sports Medicine Australia is a national multidisciplinary organisation of professionals committed to working together to enhance the health of all Australians through safe participation in sport, recreation and physical activity.
Sports Medicine Australia will function as the peak body for:
* Medicine and science in physical activity and sport
* Medical and health care of active persons at all levels
* Well-being through safe physical activity
* Prevention of health problems associated with inactivity
The corporate values governing SMA’s ongoing development will include the following:
* SMA will always embrace integrity, fairness and equal access for all.
* SMA will value all of its members and openly recognises the contribution each member makes to the continued success of SMA. Further, SMA will ensure it offers unbiased, multidisciplinary and timely information to its members that compliments knowledge gained by each of the specific disciplines. Membership is bound to SMA’s Code of ethics.
* SMA will have a transparent relationship with all of its commercial partners to ensure it is professional, ethical, honest and fair, with regular and open communication while meeting all commitments.
* SMA will seek to build relationships that are respectful while valuing each and every contribution by employees and volunteers. SMA values the passion, integrity, honesty and the highest commitment from this group to drive SMA to success. SMA will strive to be an open and approachable organisation, encouraging the sharing of information and knowledge.
* As a not-for-profit organisation, ongoing financial sustainability must be ensured. SMA will build strong professional, long-term relationships with stakeholders, while delivering on its promises, being transparent and accountable, and true to SMA’s vision and mission.
* SMA believes in the application of science and research to underpin and steer best practice in sports medicine and health education.
Sports Medicine Australia (SMA) is committed to maintaining a current and eminently usable Strategic Plan. The Plan is designed to facilitate the development of State based strategies in co-operation with the National Strategic Plan. This provides opportunities for collaboration between National and the States to create a unified and progressive organisation.
It is the responsibility of the National Board to set the direction of SMA as it moves forwards. The Board does so with the needs of its members and the community clearly defined.
Key areas for success and outcome objectives have been identified as those vital to ensuring SMA moves forward as a member based organisation in the twenty-first century. These are reviewed on a rotating basis at National Board Meetings, held three times a year. Changes are made as required to accommodate both current ‘Best Practice’ and SMA’s vision for the future.
The Strategic Plan is supported by the ‘Business Plan’ that includes a set of key performance indicators (KPI) and actions for each key success area. It is the role of the Chief Executive Officer and State based executive officers to set attainable and measurable goals to act as KPIs. The KPIs allow for the development of an integrated action plan. These indicators are ratified by the National Board as a measure of positive outcomes, against which we can measure our success. The National Board directs funds in keeping with sound budgetary practice accordingly to allow these objectives to be achieved.
The ultimate outcome of the Strategic Plan is continued growth and development of SMA in a highly competitive marketplace, creating an organisation that is relevant to our members and the community.
Key Areas for Success
2. Community Services
5. Structure and Management