About Sports Medicine Australia
Sports Medicine Australia (SMA) is Australia’s peak national umbrella body for sports medicine and sports science, and the leading advisory body on all medical and health issues for active people – from weekend enthusiasts of all ages through to elite level competition.
Sports Medicine Australia works to ensure the safety of all active Australians, and the continued professional development of persons interested in sports science, sports medicine and healthy activity.
SMA will build a vibrant community including professional members and other parties committed to sharing knowledge, training and information to enhance the health of all Australians through facilitating their safe participation in sport and physical activity.
Sports Medicine Australia is a national multidisciplinary organisation of professionals committed to working together to enhance the health of all Australians through safe participation in sport, recreation and physical activity.
Sports Medicine Australia – Victoria (SMA-VIC) will function as the peak body in Victoria for:
- Medicine and science in physical activity and sport
- Medical and health care of active persons at all levels
- Well-being through safe physical activity
- Prevention of health problems associated with inactivity
- Prevention and management of injury in sport and physical activity
Safety. Prevention. Advice.
Safety. Prevention. Advice. reflects SMA-VIC’s varied relationships with all Australians.
- Safety in sport, recreation and physical activity is vital to ensuring continued, lifelong participation at all levels. Participation in physical activity is widely acknowledged as a key preventative measure for numerous lifestyle related diseases.
- Prevention of sport and recreation related injury ensures participation and the benefits derived from participation can be enjoyed by all. Injury and the fear of injury is recognised as a key barrier to participation
- Advice on matters relating to prevention and management of sport and recreation related injuries to everyone will help reduce the number and recovery time of injuries
The values governing SMA-VIC’s ongoing development include the following:
- Integrity, fairness and equal access for all.
- Transparency and professionalism in all its operations.
- Respect – for the contribution and commitment of employees, members and volunteers.
- Credibility – information/decision making is based on research and best practice and evidence based.
Key areas for success
- Community Engagement
- Profile Building
- Structure and Operations
Definitions of success
- Members value SMA-VIC services and renew membership annually.
- Members engage in SMA-VIC professional development activities.
- Members’ feedback is welcomed, valued and incorporated into future decisions.
- The SMA-VIC product is high-quality, empirically-based, and up-to-date.
- SMA-VIC products are easily accessible to the public.
- Rural/regional communities are actively involved in SMA-VIC events and courses.
- Community partnerships with sport stakeholders are strong and enable a collaborative approach towards achieving safer sport outcomes.
- SMA-VIC members contribute to SMA-VIC activities.
- The SMA-VIC website is informative and well-maintained.
- SMA-VIC Brand is recognised and trusted in the community.
- SMA-VIC has a strong presence in all forms of media.
- SMA-VIC events and programs are well advertised.
- Spokespeople are available for media comment on specific issues when required.
- Revenue opportunities are created from pre-existing SMA products.
- Financial viability does not rely on Government income.
- SMA-VIC staff receive opportunities for professional development.
- SMA-VIC staff contributions are recognised and rewarded.
Structure and Operations
- Policy documents are current.
- Board members are appropriately skilled and knowledgeable.
- Staff members are optimal.
We will achieve success by:
- Understanding our stakeholders’ needs.
- Employing and developing the expertise and skills of staff and board members.
- Delivering world class products.
- Broadening the reach of the organisation.
- Demonstrating uncompromising excellence in the pursuit of safer sport participation.
SMA-VIC participates in the community through:
- Educating and accrediting sports first aiders and sports trainers
- Providing up-to-date and expert information to the community on sports medicine issues
- Producing policy statements and guidelines critical to safe and healthy activity
- Network and information referral service on general sport and health enquiries
- Providing medical coverage for sporting events
Physical activity is vital to general good health and disease prevention. Yet up to 60% of the population simply are not active enough to get any health benefit. People who exercise regularly are less likely to develop heart disease, diabetes, obesity, and some cancers, as well as reduced risk of developing osteoporosis and osteoarthritis. SMA-VIC is uniquely placed to provide leadership and guidance for the promotion of lifelong participation in safe physical activity.
SMA-VIC is keen to ensure that the general public is aware of the benefits of physical activity and that the risk of losing momentum by doing too much too early or sustaining an injury is prevented. To get people active and keep people active, SMA-VIC produces a range of useful resources and a variety of community education programs.
The resources include Smartplay fact sheets (sport specific and injury specific) and the education programs include Smartplay injury prevention workshops, the Safer Sport Education programs, Events, publications and media releases.