Spinal Injury Managment Course
Sports Medicine Australia and Surf Life Saving Australia have developed in partnership, a Spinal Injury Management Course, to be presented to people involved in land based sports.
The course will have a specific emphasis on the management of spinal injuries in contact sports and the various football codes.
This course will teach the acute management of spinal injuries. Experts in the field will cover the following topics in a theoretical and practical setting.
- Background to spinal cord inury
- Treatment of spinal cord injury
- Transporting the spinal patient
- The use of spinal transport equipment
Outcomes of the Course
The Spinal Injury Management course focuses on the principles of good spinal care in an emergency situation. By the end of this course you should be able to:
- Describe a basic understanding of spinal cord anatomy and injuries.
- Describe the possible causes of spinal injuries.
- Detail the signs and symptoms of a patient with suspected spinal injuries.
- Demonstrate how to move a casualty with suspected spinal injuries.
- Detail the principles of immobilisation for spinal injuries.
- Detail and demonstrate the management of head and spinal injuries.
- Detail and demonstrate the precautions necessary for the transportation of casualties with suspected spinal injuries.
Course Dates & Locations
All courses are held at Sports House, Sydney Olympic Park and commence at 9am.
The Spinal Injury Management course can be privately conducted at your sports club, school or organisation. For further information please contact the SMA NSW Office on (02) 8116 9815 or email@example.com.