Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) & Bridging Courses
SMA offers recognition of prior learning (RPL) and other bridging courses to help gain the SMA Level 1 Sports Trainer Accreditation.
Below is information about:
- Australian Rugby League (ARL) bridging course
- Allied Health Professionals bridging course
- Other RPL offered
Australia Rugby League – Bridging Course Information
The SMA/ARL bridging course is available for individuals who hold an Australian Rugby League (ARL) First Aid Officer’s accreditation. The bridging course agreement which SMA has in place with the ARL is recognition of the qualifications which ARL trainers already have.
Below is a summary of this RPL process:
- Participants are sent the SMA Level 1 Sports Trainers manual and workbook
- Participants are required to complete the workbook in their own time and return to SMA for marking
- The assessment section at the back of the workbook needs to be completed by a physiotherapist. ARL club physiotherapists are commonly used for this section. If required, assessment may be arranged by SMA.
- The name and contact details for any physiotherapists undertaking this assessment need to be submitted to SMA so that the relevant information can be forwarded. Assessment includes taping, moving an injured athlete and TOTAPS.
The following items need to be submitted to SMA before the level 1 Sports Trainers accreditation is processed:
- Application for Level 1 Sports Trainer bridging course. Registration form here.
- Name of the physiothepaist undertaking the assessment
- Copy current First Aid Certificate
- Cheque or credit card details for $135 made payable to Sports Medicine Australia (ACT).
An SMA Level 1 Sports Trainer’s accreditation will be issued upon the succesful completion of the SMA Workbook and the practical assessment.
Allied Health Professionals – Bridging Course Information
Please note: This is a fast track course with participants receiving RPL for their nursing experience and qualifications. It is a pre-requisite of this course that participants hold a valid First Aid certificate prior to completing the course. This course will recognise you as a nationally accredited sports trainer, providing skills on how to prevent and manage injuries on and off the sporting field. National accreditation from this course is the standard requirement to work as a sports trainer in many of the country’s sporting codes.
The following sections of the level 1 sports trainers course must be completed for this bridging course. Duration 8 hours.
- The Sports Trainers In Action
- Warm Up, Stretching and cool down
- Principles of injury management
- Medical conditions & Injury Management
- Drugs in Sports
- Sports Taping Sports Nutrition
The following edivence is required for this course:
- Copy of current First Aid Certificate
- Copy of Allied Health Degree
The cost of this course is $185.00. To express your interest, contact our office on (02) 6247 5115 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
RPLis offered for individuals who have completed the relevant core modules for the Level 1 Sports Trainer Course from previous educational institutes including tertiary and relevant training courses. Contact our office to discuss your requirements or email email@example.com