Publications and Media
Sports Medicine Australia ensures members are able to share the latest developments and research through our publications, which include (but not limited to):
- Sport Health
- Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport – To view the Editor Choice Articles click here
SMA membership will entitle you to full access of the Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport which is ranked amongst the top Journals in the world with a “A” rating. For membership details click here.
- Women in Sport fact sheets
- Safety Guideline for Children in Sport and recreation
- Choose Health: Be Active “A physical activity guide for older Australians”
Smartplay is a sport safety and injury prevention program. Smartplay aims to reduce the incidence and severity of sport and recreation injuries and carries the slogan ‘Warm Up, Drink Up, Gear Up’ which represent simple yet important injury prevention practices for all sports participants, coaches and administrators.
At present Smartplay is operating in several Australian States. Each of these Smartplay programs has subtle differences in its targets and activities. The Smartplay website has been developed to allow each of the State based Smartplay programs to contribute to a common site, yet still maintain their local characteristics.
Visit the Smartplay website for full list of resources available www.smartplay.com.au
Smartplay programs available in ACT.
We have a number of programs which are available to schools and local sporting clubs. These workshops are aimed at reducing the frequency & severity of injuries.
Nobody likes being on the sideline as a result of an injury. Unfortunately however this can sometimes be the case when you are involved in sport or recreational activities, despite undertaking the best preventive measures. Soft tissue injuries are the most common in taking competitors away from activities. They can include ligament sprains, muscle strains and muscle bruises.
Smartplay, Sports Medicine Australia’s sports injury prevention program provides resources and advice to sporting clubs, schools and associations to engage in safe practices and decrease the number of injuries sustained.
The Smartplay sessions are ideal for school students and sporting clubs:
• Presented as a one hour to one half hours inter-active session.
• Can cater for up to 50 participants at any one session.
The Smartplay workshop encourage students to start thinking about the role which they play in preventing injuries occurring around the play ground and on the sporting fields. However, when injuries have occurred, appropriate initial management and early referral of injuries is the key to preventing further injury and a return to full activity.
• Injury Cycle – People, places & policies, how they result in a chain of circumstances and what part each individual child plays in preventing injuries from occurring in the first instance.
• Injury Management – providing participants with the skills to manage a soft tissue injury efficiently and effectively ensuring a quick return to sport. (RICER and NO HARM).
Workshops delivered at your venue.
For further information or to book a workshop within your school or club, please contact email@example.com or phone our office on (02) 6247 5115.
Information on injury management resources visit http://www.smartplay.com.au/national/doclib/xpub/docliball.asp