Professional (Full) Membership
Professional (Full) Membership
Professional (Full) Membership is the category for professionals in the sports medicine and sports science industry. To be eligible for Professional Membership applicants must have completed an approved tertiary degree that is recognised and approved by the SMA National Board.
Criteria for Determining a Tertiary Degree that is Recognized and Approved by the SMA National Board.
The tertiary degree must be attained from an accredited institution. (Listed on the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Register. The register is accredited by the Ministerial Council on Education, Employment, Training and Youth Affairs (MCEETYA)).
SMA Professional Members shall:
- Comply with and observe the Articles of Association of ASMF Ltd and regulations of the organization and any determination or resolution which may be made or passed by the board or duly authorized committee or board.
- Comply with the SMAs Code of Ethics.
- Uphold the Vision, Mission and Values of Sports Medicine Australia.
SMA Professional Membership Applications may be Unsuccessful:
- If the applicant has a conviction for any felony by any court of competent jurisdiction.
- If the applicant has conducted any action which is determined to be injurious or prejudicial to the objects or interests of the Federation or its Members or Sports Medicine, or which brings the Federation or Sports Medicine into disrepute.
- At the discretion of Sports Medicine Australia.
The profession of most Full Members are Physiotherapists, GPs, Sports Doctors, Sports Physicians, Exercise Scientists, Sports Dietitians, Sports Pscyhologists, Podiatrists, Physical Activity Academics and Researchers, Public Health experts, Orthopaedic Surgeons and PE teachers.
Examples of recognised degrees:
(This list is not exhaustive)
Dietitians – Bachelor of Health Sciences (Nutrition & Dietetics)
Medicine – Bachelor of Medicine
Physiotherapy – Bachelor of Physiotherapy
Sports Science – Bachelor of Applied Science (Human Movement)
Education – Bachelor of Physical Education
Podiatry – Bachelor of Health Science (Podiatry)
Psychology – Bachelor of Psychology
Osteopath – Bachelor of Health Science (Osteopathy)
There are many benefits of membership to SMA including:
- Inclusion in our National and State referral networks which incorporates printed membership directories and a web based directory giving the community greater access to qualified sports medicine and science practitioners.
- Networking opportunities through our publications Sport Health and the Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport (JSMS) as well as at our Conferences.
- Access to multi-disciplinary educational workshops and seminars at a reduced rate
- Access to Educational Material, including policies and guidelines for safer sport
- Access to the Member Benefits program
Professional (Full) members also receive:
- Voting rights and eligibility to stand for Board positions
- The JSMS and Sport Health (printed quarterly)
- Access to Practice Branding – allowing you to use the SMA logo to boost your profile and your practice
Click here to join online via a secure portal. You can pay via Mastercard or Visa credit card. Alternatively you can choose to have an invoice emailed to you with other payment options.
Alternatively, download PDF Application form. Complete all parts of the application form and return it to SMA along with certified copies of qualifications and/or a personal recommendation from another SMA Full Member.
For further enquiries please contact Rosalie Battagliolo on 1800 685 684 or email firstname.lastname@example.org