Sports Trainer Membership
Sports Trainer Membership is the category of membership for people working as Sports Trainers from the community sport level right through to elite sports level.
SMA provides Sports Trainer Membership that includes an insurance package prepared especially for working Sports Trainers.
Sports Trainer Members receive the following benefits:
- Access to Sports Trainer Insurance.
- Free online subscription to Sport Health.
- Discount on SMA publications and other merchandise.
- Free access to injury prevention information resources.
- Reduced cost for registration to SMA conferences and professional development events.
Eligibility for Sports Trainer membership is as follows:
- Current Sports Trainer Accreditation with SMA.
- Acceptance of the SMA Sports Trainer Code of Ethics.
- No criminal convictions.
- No ruling of action determined to be injurious or prejudicial to the objects or interests of SMA, its Members or Sport Medicine, or which brings SMA into disrepute.
To be eligible for Sports Trainer Membership, you must hold a current SMA Level 1 or Level 2 Sports Trainer Accreditation. Please contact SMA on (03) 9674 8702 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are unsure of the status of your accreditation.
The cost of a Sports Trainer Membership is:
- Sports Trainer Membership with insurance is $180 per year.
- Sports Trainer Student Membership with insurance is $160 per year. (Please note, this is available to full time students only – must provide a copy of your student enrolment showing full-time study status)
To join online via a secure portal Please Click Here. You can pay via Mastercard or Visa credit card. Alternatively you can choose to have an invoice emailed to you with other payment option. Otherwise contact the National Office for an application form to be faxed, emailed or sent.
Sports Trainer Insurance Policy
SMA’s Sports Insurance policy provides:
- Public Liability ($20 Million)
- Products Liability ($20 Million)
- Professional Indemnity ($10 Million)
- Personal Accident Cover, including; Capital Benefits (Death and total disablement $100,000), Loss of Income ($500 a week up to 52 weeks)
and Medical Benefits (non Medicare costs up to $3,000).
The Sports Trainers insurance policy is covered by Jardine Lloyd Thompson Australia. This Policy is only available to SMA Accredited Sports Trainers. It is the policy holder’s responsibility to ensure their SMA Sports Trainer Accreditation is current. The insurance policy is only valid whilst the policy holder’s SMA Sports Trainer accreditation is current. The policy is void at any period during which the policy holder’s SMA Sports Trainer Accreditation lapses.
- The Policy operates while a sports trainer is working in activities involving playing in club, representative, state or national matches
training routines arranged by the club, league, association or federation;
- travelling directly to or from the above activities and residence or place of employment or club premise;
- staying away from home during a tour for the purpose of participating in representative matches in an administrative capacity or organised social and fundraising activities.
It is important to take out this policy. Many NSO’s and SSO’s do not have insurance policies that cover Sports Trainers. Check with your relevant organisation to see what insurance cover they provide for Sports Trainers.
Membership gives you 12 months insurance cover and is current from date of payment.
Please note: This policy is only available to SMA accredited Sports Trainers. It is the policy holder’s responsibility to ensure their SMA Sports Trainer Accreditation is current. The insurance policy is only valid whilst the policy holder’s SMA Sports Trainer accreditation is current. The policy is void at any period during which the policy holder’s SMA Sports Trainer Accreditation lapses.